Bradford tender opportunity: Opening schools facilities
Posted: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:43
Sport England are providing funding to enable more schools to open their facilities to the public once the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic is over. The funding, which has been provided by the Department of Education, will help schools deliver extra-curricular activities and open their facilities outside of the school day during evenings, weekends and school holidays (although large scale capital/building works aren't eligible for this funding).
In Bradford, this funding will be distributed through Yorkshire Sport Foundation, with Active Bradford managing and monitoring the use and impact of this by Secondary schools.
Funding should be used to help schools offer extra-curricular opportunities including opening facilities in a COVID-19 secure manner. Examples given include:
- Help schools with their own pool on site to safely open them – this can include purchasing water testing kits and plant servicing following guidance from Swim England.
- Help schools to meet COVID-19 measures by purchasing additional signage, touch free entry points, Perspex screens and additional cleaning equipment.
- Purchase additional sports, activity, and storage equipment.
- To improve the accessibility of school sports facilities, especially for pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. This could include buying adaptive sports equipment.
- Where relevant provide funding for additional short-term staffing challenges which prevent schools from opening facilities or delivering sessions.
- Support / funding should be targeted predominantly to support schools with a high percentage of pupils eligible for free school meals, the least active and to provide more opportunities for pupils with SEND to take part in activities.
- Funding should focus on increasing the breadth of the community provision (not displacing existing activity but adding to it) – in consultation with local sports providers, NGBs and SGOs.
- Secondary schools are expected to be the main beneficiaries of this funding, but where appropriate, primary schools can also receive funding/support.
Timescales and reporting requirements
All schools interested in opening their school facilities as outlined should submit their tender using the form provided by no later than Friday 7th May 2021. Schools will be notified of their bid status by no later than Friday 21st May 2021.
Contact and support information
Please see the attached documents for further eligibility clarification and how to apply. If you need further information or have questions in relation to the requirements or the application process, please contact Ian Holmes (firstname.lastname@example.org), who is the Creating Active Schools Director for JU:MP (Join Us Move Play - Bradford's Sport England funded local delivery pilot). He will be the lead contact for Bradford in relation to this project and has also arranged an optional zoom meeting on Tuesday 27th April at 4pm for any school wanting support with their application.
Download the invitation to tender form.